Part 6 - Rangers (H)

It All Started So Well

Alex Totten made one change from the previous week. Colin McKee came in to replace John Henry.

Having not won against the visitors since 94, when Tam Black's free kick went a long way in keeping us up, the omens weren't good but we did, however, get off to a good start. The visitors clearly thought all they needed to do was turn up. Killie, on the other hand were full of pace and pressure, so much so that visiting defender, Gordan Petric had what would come to be known later in the season as an 'Annoni' of a game.

The 1st clear cut chance fell to goalscoring god Paul Wright, who, whilst looking to anyone with eyes to have beaten the offside trap, was flagged for offside by Bobby Tait's pal on the East Stand touchline. Andy Goram saved well anyway. Moments later and while trying to 'get to know' Jimmy Mac intimately, Joachim Bjorkland gave away a free kick about 40 yards out. McIntyre would take it himself, not bothering Goram in goal. It would take 4 months before we'd know the value of Kevin McGowne taking those types of kicks.

The visitors did venture forward a few times but were met with the none shall pass defence of Killie.

With the 20th minute fast approaching, it would be Killie that took the lead. Blood & snotters tackles by McGowne on Alec Clelland & Richard Gough on anyone with a pulse, saw the ball break loose down the Killie right. Bully's arrowed cross set alarm bells ringing in the visiting defence, where it was met by the in nosebleed territory, Mavis Reilly (who, is soon running another Iron Man race to raise money for reverseRett - click here to make a donation) who promptly slammed it past Goram to make it 1-0.

Could we hold on this time, or had we just done a Scotland against Brazil in Spain '82? The latter, unfortunately.

Although we did put up a braver fight than that Scotland team.

The highlight of the rest of the half was Bully ripping the over-hyped Paul Gascoigne a new one as he once again bombed down the line, as we ended the first half on a high.

HALF TIME: Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Rangers

...and then it all went to pot.

Just after the hour and Bully up-ended Brian Laudrup in the box. And Rangers got their obligatory penalty. The previously ineffectual Gascoigne took it and made it 1-1. To our credit, we kept pushing on. The visitors were more shakey than a Welsh, 50s-style rock-n'-roller (Worth a try - Ed.) any time we managed to get forward, but we wasted our half chances and were punished while on one of our forays forward.

75 minutes gone and we lost possession in the opposition half. With most of the team caught up the park, the terrible Gascoigne got his second & proceeded to noise up the crowd and the Killie team with a mouthing off gesture with his hands. Really, aye? We weren't the ones struggling to break down an ex-Kilwinning rangers defender. No offence to Derek Anderson, who was a good kid.

Oh for a Derrick McDicken to launch captain smug into the middle of next century for that act...

The visitors suddenly found their stride and moved up through the gears as we neared the end of the game. A third was added as Laudrup diverted a Peter van Vossen cross into the net. The fourth followed soon after, as, we continued to push forward, we were once again caught out at the back. Lekovic went for a wee wander to Troon, leaving van Vossen an empty net to cross the ball into.

It looked worse than it was. And once again, after a good start against one of the twisted sisters, we came up short...

Team: Lekovic, MacPherson, Anderson, Reilly, Whitworth, McGowne, Mitchell, Holt, Wright, McIntyre, McKee.
Sub: Brown for McKee
Attendance: 14,812

Pos. SFL Premiership Table P W D L PTS.
1 Rangers 6 6 0 0 18
2 Celtic 6 5 1 0 16
3 Aberdeen 6 3 2 1 11
4 Hibernian 6 3 1 2 10
5 Motherwell 6 1 4 1 7
6 Heart of Midlothian 6 2 1 3 7
7 Dunfermline Athletic 6 1 3 2 6
8 Kilmarnock 6 1 1 4 4
9 Raith Rovers 6 1 0 5 3
10 Dundee United 6 0 1 5 1



Share this page: