12-05-2004 Aberdeen (H), SPL

 Kilmarnock 4  Aberdeen 0

(SPL Match 37, Rugby Park, May 12th 2004, KO: 7:45PM)  

Kris Boyd scored twice as sorry Aberdeen were demolished at Rugby Park by an Eric Skora-inspired Kilmarnock. 
The on-loan French midfielder ran the show for the home side and opened the scoring with a powerful drive.

Boyd grabbed his first when he volleyed home a Skora free kick and then tapped in a second early in the second half.

The home side continued to dominate and Colin Nish chipped Dons keeper David Preece, who made a number of good saves, to complete the scoring.

In a high-tempo start to the game it was the home side who had the upper hand as Mark Canning shot over the crossbar from distance and Boyd's 12 yard strike went wide.

In the 11th minute Killie defender Garry Hay put Stephen Murray clean through on goal but the little midfielder's shot from 10 yards was straight at Aberdeen keeper David Preece. 

Moments later, Dons midfielder Scott Muirhead's volley from 30 yards went only inches over the top of the target.

Killie were well on top and it was no surprise when they took the lead in the 23rd minute through on-loan midfielder Eric Skora.

Murray's cross from the left was headed out by Morrison only to the feet of the Frenchman, who took a touch before rifling a low drive into the corner of the net from just inside the box.

On the half-hour Murray set up a chance for Boyd whose close range effort was blocked and from the rebound Nish also had an effort which the Dons defence cleared.

In the 35th minute the home side doubled their lead when Skora whipped in a free-kick from the left and Boyd emerged from a crowd of players to volley the ball in from close range.

On the half time whistle Nish headed another Skora a free-kick against crossbar and Aberdeen were able to clear. 

The home side scored again in the 58th minute when Canning found Hay, who sprinted into the Dons penalty area and his cut-back only had to be tapped into the empty net by Kris Boyd.

The visitors were all over the place and on the hour mark Kilmarnock increased their advantage when Invincibile cleverly set up Colin Nish and the big striker coolly chipped Preece from just inside the box.

In the 74th minute Nish should have scored again when the impressive Stevie Murray picked him out with another cross from the left-hand-side but the big striker carelessly headed wide from close range.

The closing stages saw Kilmarnock to continue to spurn the opportunities which would have turned a comprehensive victory into a rout. All in all a great season finale at Rugby Park, in what was to be Eric Skora's last match for Killie.

Kilmarnock: Smith, Lilley, Hay, Dindeleux, Fowler, Canning, Skora, Boyd, Murray, Nish, Invincibile. 

Subs: Meldrum, McSwegan, Dargo, McDonald, Dodds.

Attendance: 4,987

Image Gallery

Share this page: