Go To Bottom

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favorites  
Author: Subject: 'The Sun' article on Burns and Scotland
Cacciatore
Cugine

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 11:58
'The Sun' article on Burns and Scotland

Article by Rod Liddle:

OCH aye the noo and Scots wha hae! It's Burns Night again what a joy.

All across the country Scots and pretend Scots and people whose aunties once visited Oban for a long weekend will be putting on tartan skirts and talking gibberish.

They will be guzzling testicle-sized globes of minced sheep gizzard and barley which they call "haggis".

They will be singing such hilarious ditties as Donald Where's Yer Troosers? and toasting The Krankies. And they will be reciting the God-awful poetry of Robert "Rabbie" Burns.

Listen, I love the Scots. They punch well above their weight at lots of stuff science, engineering, education, claiming welfare benefits, taking heroin etc but there are two things at which they are utterly useless.

One is food haggis is actually a step up from most Scots delicacies like deep fried pizza, cock-a-leekie soup and Irn-Bru.

And the second is poetry. They are truly hopeless at poetry.

But the poor old Scots are about as good as poetry as the Libyans are at skiing. And put them together food and poetry and what have you got a Burns Night Supper!

There are only three poets from Scotland anyone has heard of.

The first is a bad tempered old commie called Hugh MacDiarmid, who nobody ever reads any more because he was duller than a night out in Wick.

The second is William McGonagall, who was renowned only for being a complete imbecile. He is actually famous for having been an awful poet, the Eric The Eel of verse.

But in first place there's Rabbie Burns, with his endlessly witless doggerel about mice and haggis.

He is a joke poet too, somewhere on the level of that woman who used to read out "humorous" verse on That's Life in the 1970s. A sort of Pam McAyres, then, except with less charm.

The Scots claim he is a genius because he wrote in dialect ie, he uses words that no Scot in their right mind would ever use except maybe on Burns Night. I mean, have you ever heard a Scottish person actually use the phrase "Och aye the noo!" or "Scots wha hae!" I haven't.

I suspect that when it comes to what these phrases mean most jocks are as much in the dark as I am.

The Scots also like him because he was a champion of social equality and human rights overlooking the fact that he worked as a bookkeeper on a slave plantation.

Yes, that's right Burns loved Scotland so much he got the hell out for the West Indies as soon as the chance came his way. Bit warmer in Jamaica was it, Rabbie?

Anyway, if you've been invited to a Burns Night and someone starts reciting Tam o'Shanter or Scots Wha Hae, set fire to his sporran and leave through the nearest exit.
TheShark
Stand-Up Guy

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 12:20

The usual tripe spouted by The Sun south of the border. I don't know why they have a Scottish version to be honest.

This is why I stopped buying tabloids a few years ago. Double standards, no morals, reporting the truth is merely an option which is rarely taken and having the back 8 pages being a total OF love-in.

Hazlett Driving Tuition
www.passwithhazlett.co.uk
killie billies pal
Stand-Up Guy

Mood: gizza job

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 12:28

you have to wonder if Rod Liddle or The Sun would be prepared to put together such a piece on Asian and Muslim festivities?

It appears that Racisim is fair game if you are a "SWEATY SOCK" in our English friends view

I'm here coz I luv Killie!
killie-zenit
Cugine

Mood: MJGTF

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 12:34

Liddle's a slabbering bigot who's just bitter that English cultural expression reaches its zenith in Morris dancing and James Corden.

A chemical illusion of ease.
casual observer
Goodfella

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 12:44

Lazy, zenophobic and inaccurate - really surprising for an esteemed, highbrow, well regarded publication like the Sun, the Murdoch empire's flagship paper continues to educate its readers - the percentage that can actually read and dont just look at the pictures
KillieFanInToon
Stand-Up Guy

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 12:47

Is he coming up with the Millwall mob?!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This user has MSN Messenger
Brianstorm
Mr Storm To You

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 12:48

We're worse. The Scottish nation, institutionally despise the English, just because they are English, and we boast about it, sing about it, and call it banter. Is that not what this article is.

[Edited on 08/04/2010 by Brianstorm]
Fauldsy
Goodfella

Mood: Gary Caldwell- w@nk.

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 12:48

I thought that was quite funny.

Brianstorm, step away from the keyboard.
Pedro
Stand-Up Guy

Mood: It's a (Killie) lottery

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 12:51

Quote:
Originally posted by Brianstorm
We're worse. The Scottish nation, institutionally despise the English, just because they are English, and we boast about it, sing about it, and call it banter.

English politicians and journalists are very easy to hate but, aas a people they have many fine qualities (and beers).

Scotland free 'afore ah dee
casual observer
Goodfella

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 12:54

Quote:
Originally posted by Brianstorm
We're worse. The Scottish nation, institutionally despise the English, just because they are English, and we boast about it, sing about it, and call it banter. Is that not what this article is.

Not like the English do about the French, the Dutch to the Germans, the Danish to the Swedes.........

institutionally i thought we were closely linked to our English neighbours and fellow Britons in all walks of life, business, finance, healthcare, sport, politics, religion, no?

altho the snp will test these ties with the referendum in the next few years............
humptydumpty87
Stand-Up Guy

Mood: eccentric

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 13:00

Quote:
Originally posted by Fauldsy

I did chuckle and some bits.

But he's still a fandan! Shakespear is revered by the english and they don't speak 'ye olde englishe' anymare!

If you sit there and think, Who am I? How did I get here? What is going to happen when I die? you can scare the hell out of yourself. For all our science and philosophy, nobody actually knows what happens after the last gasp, where we go, Or what we become? After the last gasp...
Paul
Stand-Up Guy

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 13:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Fauldsy

me too, guy is clearly a fandan tho.

fauldsy is a benny
Brianstorm
Mr Storm To You

[*] posted on 25-1-2012 at 13:07

Yes, the guy is clearly a ballsak. Another Kelvin McKenzie type.

Go To Top