Killie Continue Goal Glut!

Mambo and Ruby made more additions to the 'Goals For' column

Kilmarnock 4 - 0 Dundee
(SPL Under 21 Match - Rugby Park, 7th April 2003, 7.00pm Kick Off)

Killie took on Dundee at Rugby Park on a perfect evening for football in front of a crowd of nearly 200 hoping to continue where they left off on Saturday. In a pretty even first half, Dundee passed the ball about well, but it was Killie who looked the more direct and dangerous team when in possession.

The early exchanges saw both Jaconelli and Di Giacomo go close, but a combination of good defending and good goalkeeping kept Killie at bay. As the half wore on Killie grew stronger and almost took the lead on half time when a Boyd shot from a Hay free-kick lay off was well held by Langfield.

Killie looked the more determined outfit after the break and went straight at Dundee from kick-off. Jaconelli twice had chances with headers early in the half, but both were off target (more of him later). Dundee had the first real opening of the half, though, when Marshall had to pull off a great double save from Steven Robb to keep the score line blank.

Not long after, in the 61st minute, Killie made the breakthrough when Canning was fouled just outside the area. Garry Hay’s free-kick from 25 yards rattled the crossbar and fell nicely for Boyd, who rose above the Dundee defence to head home from close in.

Two minutes later Killie doubled their lead, when Stevie Murray’s enterprising wing play got the goal it deserved. With nothing on he ran straight at the heart of the Dundee defence and tried his luck from 12 yards, a couple of deflections later the ball fell nicely at his feet 6 yards out and he made no mistake with his low shot into the corner.

Killie made it three in ten minutes when they scored the goal of the game in the 71st minute. Boyd played Murray free on the left, who in turn set Hay on his way down the wing. He spotted Jaconelli’s late run and the Killie number 8 bulleted an unstoppable header from the near post past Langfield. Even Crespo himself would have been proud of that one.

Paul Di Giacomo nearly made it four in 79 minutes when his header from close in rebounded off the bar, only for it to come back out for him to...head it against the bar! Jaconelli, though, did make it four in the 83rd minute. His persistence paid off when he chased down a hopeful ball, muscled out the last Dundee defender and slotted past the advancing Langfield from 12 yards.

All in all it took Killie a while to get going, but they were unstoppable once they started. A good work out for the team with pass marks for everyone. Man Of The Match – well I’ll give it to Jaconelli for his two goals. 

Kilmarnock: Marshall, Coyle, Dillon, Canning, McLaughlin, Hay (Hammill 80), McGlinchey (Boyle 67), Jaconelli, Boyd (Naismith 72), Di Giacomo, Murray. Subs (not used): Samson, Sangster.

Match report courtesy of The Ref

Fixtures & Results  -  League Table  -  Manager's Comments  -  Sandy's Photos


Copyright © 2000 All Rights Reserved.
Users of this site agree to be bound by the terms of our Web Site Rules and Regulations.